Sunday 5 September 2010

National Theatre


Sometimes it's better not to think twice before resuming blogging after a long period of blog idleness.

This illustration was triggered off by a competition by the National Theatre calling out for interpretations of the building's famous look.

The NT was the first brutalist building I was properly introduced to and although I love it, it was always difficult for me to humanize. On the deadline day came to my mind the statue of Laurence Olivier by Southbank and recycled some energy out of a late night storyboard commission to do this Shakespearean NT holding a model of the Globe Theatre.

I'm afraid the illustration didn't make it on time, just by a few minutes.

2 comments:

  1. It's a shame you didn't make it on time, but I really like the idea. Think you've done a great job of humanizing the building.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey thanks a lot Paul, competition deadlines is a lesson I still have to learn...

    ReplyDelete